A friend of mine who had traveled to Liberia, Africa, shared with me that when a woman is widowed in Liberia, an older widow is sent to stay with the younger widow... to help the younger widow through the difficult adjustment. By sharing our experiences and our strategies - in a positive manner - we can create a similar "virtual" community where we help and support each other ...... as we to adjust. Please feel free to add your positive suggestions in the comments section following each post!
*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************

If you have lost someone very recently, please start here.....
Early On for tips for the very beginning.

See also how to use this blog on the right column --------->>

*******************************************************************************

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Getting Through the Holidays

This is from Maureen Hunter.  She has the web site Esdeer.com.  I find it to be a wonderful, down to earth grief resource, written by someone who has been through it.

One day at a time,
Penelope
*********************************************************************************************************

We're just about to hit December and I know for the last few years I just wanted to close my eyes and wake up in January.

For myself (Maureen) early December is the anniversary date of my son's death, something that to date has always tinged my Christmas with a forever sadness. It comes beside all the festivities in the shops and the bombardment of adverts on the TV and in the letter box. It has taken me a long time to look forward to a time of year that changed our lives forever so suddenly, but it's happened. Last year I noticed a shift and this year much more so.

So for our 6th Christmas this year there will be a proper tree once more. There will be more decorations, there will be joyful anticipation and happy moments. Of course they will sit themselves, as they always do at such times, around the missing and sadness of the physical absence of someone who has our heart always. And amidst all of that we will do what we always do, find ways to honour and remember our beloved Stuart on the day.
 
It has taken me much to get to this place and it has not been easy.
 
Today I'd like to share a series of short videos I recorded last year about the holidays and what we can do to get through such a difficult time. If you haven't seen them already I hope they help you in some small way.

******************************************************************************

I am posting the videos below along with the links in case you are unable to view them here.

 


Video 1: Knowing what to Expect
 

 

Video 2:  Getting back to Basics
 



Video 3: What are Your Non-Negotiables this Year?
 



Video 4: New Traditions

 
  
 
Video 5: Remembering with Love




No comments: